Stories From A Yellow Room

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Inter-View You!!!

Interview-A formal meeting in which one or more persons question, consult, or evaluate another person: a job interview.
Question,consult, evaluate...that's exactly what happened with me today at a job interview for a magazine. First things first you have to know who you are talking to and what you are all about, I always looked at interviews as a way of testing your marketing skills...so how well can you "market" yourself. Oh now that should be easy, highlight all your credits and be concise about them. But an interview is not an interview till you are grilled, baked, deep fried and over-cooked to the extent of tasting pungent.
So my solemn interviewer decided to do the same, a lot of smirks were passed through the session as I wasn't able to catch the tone of his questions many times. "So what does sprawling mean", he asked...off-course I know what it means..I ventured to find some 5 meanings, well enough knowing what the word means but unable to articulate it well...Then I started to employ my marketing skills I told my interviewer about my recent attempt at reporting an article on blind students in North Campus, feeling this would win me his accolades, his first question surprisingly said " are you blind?? then how can you report what it is to be blind?? I did argue forth my point, not knowing if it impressed the person concerned.
I guess it's just a trick, all the not so straight but twisted questions, just to test how well you can handle a not so straight situation. They know what attributes you have, your resume might speak of your good grades, so they try and play around and dig deep into how and what you are all about.
Not that I have given too many interview but all I have gathered is that be yourself, answer back and if you don't know something, ask than just sitting and fidgeting in your chair.
I don't know if I'll get the job, but every interview i take further prepares me to handle them well in the near future.

No comments: